If you have fine or oily hair, you probably suffer from a lack of volume and fullness, even on your best hair days. It may seem like you’re stuck with heavy, lifeless hair, but there is a solution. Using the best volumizing shampoo for hair thickening can relieve you of your flat hair woes. These shampoos are designed for fine, oily hair, and come in a variety of formulas to meet every one of your needs. For your best volumizing shampoo for hair thickening match, read on.
Short On Time? Here Is The Bullet List:
- For Fine Hair: Fekkai Full Blown Volume Shampoo
- For Color Treated Hair: ColorProof SuperPlump Volumizing Shampoo
- For Oily Hair: Organix South Theraneem Volumizing Therape Shampoo
- Sulfate-Free: Living Proof Full Shampoo
- For Hair Growth and Thickening: PhytoWorx Organic Hair Loss Shampoo
- Drugstore: Aveeno Nourish + Volumize Lightweight Shampoo
- Natural: Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Shampoo
- Budget Volumizing Conditioner: John Frieda Luxurious Volume Touchably Full Conditioner
- Best Volumizing Conditioner: Nexxus Diametress Volume Restoring Conditioner
**Below are our more detailed reviews. Click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Related Buyers Guides:
What is Volumizing Shampoo
Volumizing Shampoo vs. Regular Shampoo
A volumizing shampoo works almost exactly the same as other shampoos in the way they clean your hair. There is a significant difference between these shampoos, though. This difference is what makes the volumizing shampoo so effective. Many of the regular shampoos you’ll find today hydrate and moisturize your hair while they clean. During this process, they leave behind a thin residue of moisturizers on the surface of your hair. This residue works to hydrate your hair throughout the day. A volumizing shampoo leaves these moisturizers out. Those who choose this type of shampoo are already struggling with a lack of thickness and body. Regular shampoos make this issue worse by adding extra weight to already flat hair.
That’s why volumizing shampoos clean away all the dirt and oils that accumulate in your hair. When you rinse them out, there are no conditioning agents left behind to weigh down your hair.
How Do You Use a Volumizing Shampoo?
When it comes time to wash your hair, you don’t need to alter your routine if you choose a volumizing shampoo. How often you need to wash depends on your hair type, not your shampoo. For instance, if you have fine hair, you may only need to wash it every couple of days. Of course, if you are using extra hair products to add more volume, you may choose to do so more often. This can help to remove the weight those products leave behind.
The same is true if you suffer from excessive oil production. Oily hair may need daily washing to remove those excess oils. This will help to keep your hair free of that unwanted weight and give it a healthy shine. If you decide to use a volumizing shampoo, choose your conditioner carefully. Don’t choose one that will leave those unwanted moisturizers in your hair. Doing so could counter the effects of your volumizing shampoo. A better idea is to find a volumizing conditioner to use after your chosen shampoo. These conditioners will hydrate your hair without weighing it down. Many brands even have volumizing shampoo and conditioner pairs. These will work together to give you the best results.
Why Use a Volumizing Shampoo?
Fine hair has a lack of volume and bounce, leaving you with limp hair that is difficult to manage. Though oil buildup may appear on the scalp, you may suffer from dryness at the ends. This could lead to further damage. Oily hair is similar since those with fine hair often suffer from excessive oil. This means flat and greasy looking hair that needs daily cleansing to rid you of those extra oils. A volumizing shampoo will help by addressing these concerns.
How Does a Volumizing Shampoo Add Volume?
This type of shampoo contains additives that enhance your hair’s structure. It achieves this by using proteins and polymers that strengthen it to reduce damage. These shampoos also use plant extracts to create the full, healthy look you may be craving. This will give you the body and bounce you want to make your hair look great. With such luscious hair, you’ll have the confidence you need to get through your day. What these shampoos lack is conditioning ingredients. Other shampoos leave residue on your hair that will help to hydrate it all day long. A volumizing shampoo is the opposite of the regular shampoos.
Those with fine hair already suffer from a lack of body. Leaving this residue behind can weigh your hair down even more. That’s why this type of shampoo leaves out these conditioning agents. This gives you the volume you want, while still leaving it soft and easy to manage.
What is a Volumizing Conditioner?
What Does Volumizing Conditioner Do?
Like regular conditioners, a volumizing conditioner softens and hydrates your hair. They help to remove any tangles as well, so there will be little resistance when you brush it. This helps to reduce breakage. Extra weight can keep your hair looking flat and lifeless. That’s why a volumizing conditioner won’t leave behind any unwanted residue. Despite their name, these conditioners may not actually add volume. Instead, they leave it light, thick, and full of bounce.
Another benefit of this type of conditioner is that you can reduce the number of hair products you use each day. This is because of the weightlessness of your shampoo and conditioner. These conditioners allow your hair to achieve the bounce and thickness you want all on its own.
How to Use a Volumizing Conditioner
When you use your volumizing conditioner, there is a specific way to do so for the best results. First, make sure you use a volumizing shampoo beforehand. Doing so means the conditioner won’t have to fight through any leftover residue to do its job. The amount of conditioner you use depends on your hair length. Be sure to read the instructions on your bottle before you begin to keep from using too much. When you’re ready to condition, it is best to avoid the scalp. Since those with fine hair usually suffer from excessive oils in this area, it is best not to add to the problem.
Instead, start at the ends of your hair. This is where most of the breakage will occur, so this area will need the most attention. Work your way up the hair shafts until about the middle of your hair. Leave the conditioner on for a few minutes and then rinse it clear. Make sure you don’t leave any residue behind, or you may be adding to your hair issues by leaving on that extra weight. Dry your hair and continue on with your usual styling routine.
Best Volumizing Shampoo for Hair Thickening on the Market
Best Volumizing Shampoo for Fine Hair: Fekkai Full Blown Volume Shampoo
- It has a light, fresh scent that isn’t overwhelming
- This shampoo is silicone-free
- You only need to use a small amount
- It cleanses your hair without weighing it down
- Gives fine hair the body and volume it lacks
- This shampoo is a bit expensive
- It may dry out your hair, so conditioning afterward is a must
- Longer hair may not see too much extra volume
Best Volumizing Shampoo for Color Treated Hair: ColorProof SuperPlump Volumizing Shampoo
This ColorProof SuperPlump Volumizing Shampoo shampoo was created by blondes for blondes. But it goes beyond the lighter shades to protect all colors from fading when washing. It has a gentle formula that cleans your hair without stripping it of its moisture. The result is a soft, shiny head of beautiful colored hair. ColorProof’s SuperPlump shampoo also contributes to the health of your hair. It does this by leaving out the parabens and sulfates that could cause further damage. If you suffer from a gluten allergy, have no fear, since gluten is not included in this shampoo’s formula. After using this shampoo, you will have the full head of weightless hair you’ve dreamed of.
- This shampoo is free of sulfates, parabens, salts, and gluten
- It has a great scent
- This shampoo leaves your hair easy to manage, with great body and shine
- You only need to use a small amount for clean, soft hair
- It is a bit expensive at over $35.00 for a 25-ounce bottle
- Those with oily hair may find it doesn’t remove the excess oils very well, leaving your hair a bit greasy
Best Volumizing Shampoo for Oily Hair: Organix South Theraneem Volumizing Therape Shampoo
This shampoo by Organix South gives new life to your oily hair. Neem oil and neem leaf extract nourish and moisturize your scalp. Eucalyptus stimulates it, helping to relieve any itching and sensitivity. Aloe Vera gel nourishes your hair, leaving it soft and shiny. These ingredients leave your hair thick, healthy, and strong. The gentle cleansers strip away the oil, leaving only the softest hair behind. This formula is thinner than some other brands available. This feature will help the shampoo penetrate the scalp for a deeper clean. Best of all, this shampoo is gluten, sulfate, and paraben free, and is safe for color-treated hair.
- Decently priced for those on a budget
- It is not a dandruff shampoo but can help to control the itching and discomfort associated with it
- The natural scent of this shampoo light, fading as your hair dries
- Cleans out the excess oils without stripping your hair
- Thinning hair looks full after use
- You should shake this shampoo before each use, due to the thinness of the formula
- You must leave this shampoo on for about 5 minutes for full effectiveness
Best Sulfate-Free Volumizing Shampoo: Living Proof Full Shampoo
This Living Proof Full volumizing shampoo removes all the unwanted residue collected in your hair. As an added bonus, it also repels any dirt and oil that may accumulate over time. This means that even if you skip a day of washing, your hair will still feel clean. Its gentle formula is both silicone and sulfate free, and it is safe for color-treated hair. Your hair will look fuller and thicker, yet is still easy to manage days after washing. There is also a paired conditioner for this shampoo. When you combine the two, you achieve the best results. Of course, you can pair it with any conditioner of your choosing.
- You only need to use a small amount every few days, so this shampoo should last for months
- Your hair will be thick and bouncy
- There is a paired conditioner which adds to the volume
- The shampoo has a clean, fresh scent
- It is a bit pricey at about $18.00 for an 8-ounce bottle
- Depending on your hair type, you could experience some dryness
- Longer hair may not achieve the desired volume
Best Shampoo for Hair Growth and Thickening: PhytoWorx Organic Hair Loss Shampoo
This PhytoWorx Organic Hair Loss shampoo helps to reduce the amount of hair loss you experience. If you’ve already lost a significant amount of hair, it also helps to regrow your hair over time. It uses a combination of rare plant stem cells from Switzerland and a variety of essential oils. These include peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree, and rosemary oils. Together, these ingredients improve the health of your scalp and halt your hair loss. Along with this benefit, this sulfate-free shampoo also thickens the hair you have left. This will give you more body and volume for a fuller head of hair. Keep in mind it may take at least a month to show any new growth. For some, the lack of chemicals and thicker locks make it well worth the wait.
- Gives you great volume and thickness
- This shampoo a nice scent
- Though it may take a few months, this shampoo should stimulate new hair growth
- It is quite expensive at over $55.00
- It could leave your hair feeling greasy if you don’t rinse it out thoroughly
- Getting this shampoo on your face could result in facial hair growth
Best Drugstore Volumizing Shampoo: Aveeno Nourish + Volumize Lightweight Shampoo
- It has a great low price that fits any budget
- This shampoo is safe to use on color treated hair
- It repairs, strengthens, and softens your hair
- It gives your hair a boost of volume
- There is a matching conditioner
- It has a subtle scent
- Some hair types may need to use conditioner with this shampoo to reduce dryness
- The bottle is a bit small, though you don’t need much each time you use it
Best Natural Volumizing Shampoo: Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Shampoo
- This shampoo uses only natural ingredients
- it has a great low price that fits any budget
- There is a matching conditioner for this shampoo
- The fragrance is light and fresh
- The shampoo has a thin, runny consistency
- You need to wash it out quite thoroughly to ensure no residue is left behind
- There is not a lot of lather, though it still cleanses well
Best Budget Volumizing Conditioner: John Frieda Luxurious Volume Touchably Full Conditioner
This John Frieda conditioner is formulated to give fine hair the volume it lacks. It begins this process at the roots, building the fullness to lift your hair off your scalp. It then works its way down to the tips of each strand. This process strengthens the weak areas while conditioning your hair. The result is smooth, soft hair that is free of tangles and touchably soft. For those who like to match their products, this conditioner has a shampoo pair. Together they give you an even bigger boost in volume. Of course, using both is not necessary for those looking for a little lift in their thin, flat hair.
- This conditioner has a low price with salon quality results
- Your hair should feel soft and silky after use
- It has a great scent
- It reduces tangles
- Over time, your hair will feel stronger, thicker, and healthier
- Hair could feel greasy afterward, but this could depend on your hair type. It could also mean you haven’t rinsed it clear
- Though it gives your hair some volume, you may need to use styling products for an extra boost
Best Volumizing Conditioner: Nexxus Diametress Volume Restoring Conditioner
A thicker, fuller head of hair is in reach Nexxus’s volumizing conditioner. It is formulated using a mixture of proteins, panthenol, and ionically-charged nexxuspheres. These ingredients work together to increase the diameter of each strand. After using it, your hair will feel softer and smoother. This is due to the hydrating qualities, which moisturize without adding extra weight. You’ll have healthier hair with more body and shine. For added benefits, this conditioner also contains nutrients and antioxidants. UV protectors in this formula keep your hair from sustaining any damage from the sun. This volumizing conditioner is gentle enough for use every day. If you want, you can match it with either its Nexxus shampoo pair or with your own preferred cleanser.
- It costs less than $14.00 for a 13-ounce bottle
- You only need to use a small amount of conditioner, so the bottle should last a while
- Adds thickness and volume to fine, flat hair
- It leaves your hair feeling soft and silky
- The conditioner works best when used with the 3 part Diametress volumizing system
- It needs to be left on your hair for a full 3 minutes to produce the thickening effect you may be looking for
Best Volumizing Shampoo for Hair Thickening Final Thoughts
All the products we’ve reviewed here can improve the volume and thickness of your hair. Though all 9 are of high quality, Paul Mitchell’s Lemon Sage Thickening Shampoo is the best volumizing shampoo for hair thickening. This shampoo gives your hair the strength it needs to stay strong in any environment. It leaves it light and bouncy, is safe for color-treated hair, and is also cruelty-free. Its only flaw is that it lacks the conditioning agents found in some of the other brands. Of course, this is easily remedied, by adding a volumizing conditioner to your routine. In the end, you’ll have the soft, supple hair you’ve always dreamed of.
Thank you for visiting Bloomgorgeous.com! If you like what you see in this article, please click on one of our Buy Now buttons to make your purchase on Amazon. As an Amazon affiliate, we make a small commission off any purchase made from a click through from this website, which is how we can provide you with these informative articles. You will not pay more on Amazon by clicking through our website because the price is the same as if you go to Amazon directly. Please take a look at our other buyer’s guides for all your beauty and wellness needs.