There are so many different products out there claiming to be the right one to clear your oily skin. But with all the washes, cleansers, and gels available, how do you know which one is the best for you? Well, despite all the new products lining store shelves, simple soap is still a great option. But you can’t just choose any old soap to take care of all the issues oily skin may be suffering with. You need a mild one, so you don’t cause irritation. It also must be able to clear out your enlarged pores and treat any acne you may be dealing with. And it can’t dry you out, or your oil production may get even worse. If you’d like to try out the best soap for oily skin, check out our tips and reviews of the top brands available.
Short On Time? Here Is The Bullet List:
- Drugstore Soap for Oily Skin: Dove Go Fresh Cool Moisture Beauty Bar
- Soap for Acne Prone Oily Skin: The Yellow Bird All Natural Soap Bar
- Liquid Soap for Oily Skin: Dr. Woods Lavender Castile Soap
- Organic Soap for Oily Skin: Vi-Tae Organic Goat Milk Soap
**Below are our more detailed reviews. Click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Related Buyers Guides:
What is Oily Skin
Oily skin happens when your sebaceous glands produce excessive amounts of sebum. There a few different causes for this condition. Genetics is one. Changes in hormone levels during puberty or pregnancy can also cause excess oil. What you eat can increase your production. Even medications like birth control or the type of makeup you use can make your problems worse. But despite the cause, it is always difficult to deal with. This is especially true when it leads to embarrassing blemishes.
Different Types of Acne
Acne can show up in many different forms. Some are mild annoyances, while others can be irritating or painful. To know what you’re dealing with, you need to know what each type looks like.
- A white head forms when a closed pore is plugged, with closed comedones.
- With a blackhead, the plugged pore is open, as is the comedones. This causes the oil to turn dark, due to air exposure. It looks like a black dot on your skin.
- Papules are small bumps on your skin. They are red and tender to the touch.
- Pustules are what we commonly called pimples. They are actually papules, only with white pus at the end of the red bump.
- Nodules are painful bumps. They don’t appear on the surface but instead form beneath the skin’s surface. They are usually large and feel solid.
- A cystic lesion is similar to the nodules, in the fact that they are under the skin and painful to touch. But they are softer and filled with pus.
Though acne from oily skin can be difficult to treat, it isn’t impossible to rid yourself of this issue. But to do so, you first need to treat the cause of it, by using the right products to cleanse away that excess sebum.
How to Choose Soap for Oily Skin
When you’re choosing soaps for oily skin, you can’t grab any bar of the shelf and expect it to take care of the problem. This is because of your pH levels. Your skin is usually a bit acidic, somewhere between 4.5 and 6.5 on the pH scale. If you choose an alkaline soap, you are forcing your skin to change to alkaline as well. This leads to stripping and irritation. Your skin will respond by producing more oil in an effort to protect itself. That’s why soaps designed for oily skin usually either acidic or neutral.
What to Look For
The best soap for oily skin is going to use as many natural ingredients as possible. These are less harsh on your skin. Chemicals dry out your face and body. This makes skin feel tight, which causes more oil. Many natural ingredients also moisturize as well as cleanse. For the best results, watch for the following ingredients: Distilled water, Aloe Vera, coconut oil, olive oil, cocoa butter, and clay are all great for oily skin. Essential oils also have numerous benefits. The best oils for oily skin include patchouli, lavender, rosewood, lemongrass, and palmarosa. Tea tree oil and salicylic acid are essential for those with acne prone skin.
More Related Buyers Guides:
Best Soaps for Oily Skin on the Market
Best Drugstore Soap for Oily Skin: Dove Go Fresh Cool Moisture Beauty Bar
Dove is known for its gentle formulas. They’ve even used the fact that their bars are made with 1/4 moisturizing cream in their ads for years. This particular beauty bar is perfect for those with oily skin, due to those claims. Dove’s Go Fresh Cool Moisture bar contains mild cleansers to wash away any dirt and oil. It clears out your pores, reducing any impurities in your skin. Because of its moisturizing ingredients, it also won’t leave your skin tight and dry. Instead, it will feel soft and look smooth and radiant. This formula also contains cucumber and green tea. As well as the soft scent, these two cool and calm any inflammation you may be suffering with.
- This gentle formula won’t strip away your natural oils
- It can be used daily on your face and body
- It has a great low price, making it a good option for those on a budget
- This soap won’t cause breakouts
- The scent is pleasing and subtle
- This isn’t a natural soap bar
- The bar won’t last long if used over your whole body
Best Soap for Acne Prone Oily Skin: The Yellow Bird All Natural Soap Bar
People with oily skin usually have no choice but to deal with the acne that comes with it. But you can keep both issues from ruining your day thanks to this soap bar from The Yellow Bird. It’s made using high grade natural and certified organic ingredients. This means it is completely chemical-free. What this formula does contain is activated charcoal. This clears your skin of toxins and oil for a healthy complexion. Shea butter hydrates and moisturizes. Lemongrass and lavender are also included for their acne-fighting benefits. They both have antibacterial, anti-fungal, and astringent properties. This helps treat your acne, while they control and balance your oil production. These handmade soaps are perfect for both men and women, as a facial cleanser and a body wash.
- This soap has a decent price
- It is made of only natural and organic ingredients
- The formula will treat and prevent acne
- It is lightly scented
- The charcoal may stain your sink or shower if not washed away quickly
- This could cause irritation if used more than a few days a week
Best Liquid Soap for Oily Skin: Dr. Woods Lavender Castile Soap
If you have oily skin, you likely have it on more than just your face. That’s why acne and irritation can show up on various body parts throughout your life. An all-purpose liquid soap can help care for your oily skin and all the issues that come with it. This one from Dr. Woods is made from pure, natural ingredients to wash those excess oils away. These ingredients include Vitamin E, lavender, hemp oil, and Shea butter for hydration. This soap gently exfoliates your skin while it washes away the dirt and oil. This helps in removing those dead skin cells that can clog your pores. You’ll be left with fresh and glowing skin that is as smooth as silk.
- This soap contains no harmful chemicals
- It clears the skin of impurities
- It can work on all skin types, including combination or oily skin
- The price is decent
- This soap leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth
- The scent is a bit strong for some people
- The thick liquid gel doesn’t lather well, though this doesn’t affect its cleansing ability
Best Organic Soap for Oily Skin: Vi-Tae Organic Goat Milk Soap
A pH balanced soap can help balance out your oil production by keeping your skin at optimum levels. This Goat’s Milk soap bar does just that but also has many other benefits to help keep your oily skin looking great. It cleanses your pores of oil, dirt, makeup, and bacteria. It contains honey, which gently scrubs your face, clearing away dead skin and oil. This soap even moisturizes, so your skin won’t dry out and kick your sebaceous glands into action. Vi-Tae Goat’s Milk soap is packed with Vitamins A, D, C, E, and a variety of B’s. Together these even rid you of fine lines and acne for clean, younger-looking skin.
- This soap is completely organic, with all natural ingredients
- It contains vitamins and alpha-hydroxy acids for less acne, lines, and wrinkles
- It is pH balanced, so it won’t dry out your skin
- You can use it on your face, body, and hair
- The scent is light and refreshing
- This soap leaves your skin soft and clean with no residue
- It is a bit expensive for one bar
Best Soap for Oily Skin Final Thoughts
You don’t have to add a dozen different products into your beauty routine to clear away your oil. Instead, a simple soap used twice a day can clear away dirt, oil, makeup, and treat many of your skin problems. We’ve reviewed four soaps that are all great for oily skin. Though each one has its own benefits, the Vi-Tae Organic Goat Milk Soap is the best soap for oily skin. This product is all-natural, with no chemicals to strip away your natural oils. But it does take care of the excess, leaving your skin hydrated and soft. It is also pH balanced, treats acne, and reduces any signs of aging.
Thank you for visiting Bloomgorgeous.com! If you like what you see in this article, please click on one of our Buy Now buttons to make your purchase on Amazon. As an Amazon affiliate, we make a small commission off any purchase made from a click through from this website, which is how we can provide you with these informative articles. You will not pay more on Amazon by clicking through our website because the price is the same as if you go to Amazon directly. Please take a look at our other buyers guides for all your beauty and wellness needs.